Thursday, January 14, 2010

Learning Badugi 1 - Introduction

I was recently introduced to Badugi when playing in Event # 11 of AIPS IV coordinated by Ante Up Magazine's pokercast. I've gotten a hooked on the game. So I've started playing Badugi cash games on Poker Stars. So I thought I'd share my experiences as I learn the game.

For those that don't know Badugi is a 4 card draw games. The object is to get the lowest unpaired, unsuited hand possible (aces are low). So the best possible hand is A, 2, 3, 4 of four different suits. The tournament played as a limit tournament with 3 drawing rounds and a blind structure similar to a limit Hold 'em tournament.

For example, a $2-4 Badugi game would have $1 small blind and a $2 big blind. Everyone would be dealt 4 cards, then there is a $2 betting round. Then everyone that didn't fold can draw 0 to 4 cards. Then there is another $2 betting round. Then there is a second drawing round. Then a $4 betting round. Then the third drawing round, then a final $4 betting round.

If you still pair a card or match a suit after the drawing rounds, you cannot play one of your cards so you play a 3 card hand. A king high 4 card hand beats a 3 card 7 high hand.

Badugi Index Next>>

No comments: