Tuesday, February 2, 2010

AIPS Player of the Year

Warning:  The following post is a bit of a brag.  Please move on if you don't want to put up with it :)

I've played in the Ante Up Intercontinental Poker Series (AIPS) since its inception (see Ante Up Magazine for more information). AIPS is the only tournament series I make an "extra effort" to try to play.  Despite that my overall record hasn't been very impressive. I've cashed (2 of 55) playing PLO8 in AIPS I.  I didn't cash at all in AIPS II.  I cashed (4 of 110) playing 7 card Stud in AIPS III.  So as you can see 2 cashes over AIPS I, II and III  was pretty unremarkable.

When AIPS IV started I was disappointed when I missed event #1.  I managed to cash (10 of 111) in the event #2 Pot Limit Omaha.  I then failed to cash in event #3  Stud and #4 Limit Hold'em.  I then missed the next 3 events.  I figured any hopes a decent showing in the points race were dashed.

Then I played event #8 Limit Omaha 8 or better. I chipped up early and got heads up with GapBand85.  I somehow managed to win that event. Next I was gearing up for event #9 Razz. The night of the event I wasn't feeling very well, so I decided not to play. But at the last minute I changed my mind and played anyway. I started to chip up again and I began to have visions of repeating. I ended up heads up against x_TheLaw_x.  And after a hard battle I won that one too.  Two back to back first places.  There was a lot of luck involved but it still felt pretty good.

Now I had a vision of winning a 3rd banana in that season.  No one has won 3 bananas in a season since heffmike did it in the very first AIPS series.  So along came event #10 Heads Up No Limit Hold'em.  I was determined to play well.  I ended up finishing tied for 9th (it's a heads up event so not as impressive as it may sound).  But at least that was three cashes in a row.

On to event #11 Badugi.  I had never played Badugi before, but I had played a lot of low-ball games.  It took the first couple of levels before I thought I was sort of getting a feel for the game.  I ended up with the chip lead heads up with StephsHubby.  This is where my inexperience showed through.  I was trying to adjust to short handed play, but I think I over-adjusted.  I played too aggressive and did too much snowing.  StephsHubby recognized this and just kept calling and taking my chips.  I finished second and my third banana eluded me.  At least I had 4 cashes in a row, and had crept up into leading the points race for AIPS Player of the Year.

I figured my run of luck was over,  but of course I would do my best in the Main Event,  event #12 H.O.R.S.E.  This was a deep stacked event with a very slow blind structure.  I started with 3,000 chips and worked my way up to 6,000.  But then through a combination of bad beats and bad play I worked my way down to 532 chips.  Then I noticed GapBand85 was in the top 6.  The tournament paid 6 places and GapBand85 only need to cash to beat me.  So I figured the only way to clinch player of the year was to get myself back in shape to make the final table.  I went all in twice in Stud Eight or Better, but I only won half the pot so it didn't change my position much. Then it switch to Hold'em and I doubled up.  Soon I was at 1500 in chips and I was feeling very comfortable.  (This was about 4 or 5 hours into the tournament.  It had a ridiculously slow structure.)

After not too much longer I was back up to 3000 then 6000 chips.  Before too much longer I was back in the top 4 in chips.  When PottyTrainMe exited in 14th place, I clinched player of the year.  So I had only one thing left to concentrate on.  Winning my third banana.  My stack kept going up and down, and I moved between 4th than 2nd place all night.  I finally ended up heads up against StephsHubby after over 9 hours of play.  I was bleary eyed and it was 5 AM central time, but I was determined to win the banana.  I battled and briefly took the lead in the O8 round, but then I got brutalized in Razz and just couldn't overcome StephsHubby.  Then at 7:20 AM on the Poker stars clock StephsHubby pounded the final stake through my heart and my dreams of the elusive 3rd banana were shattered.

However, I was still pretty happy.  I finished AIPS with 4 straight cashes, two firsts and two second places.   I cashed in 6 of the 8 AIPS IV events I played.  Overall a very good year.  Looking back I have to believe I was running way above expectation.  That gives me 8 cashes over 4 seasons, averaging two per year.  That seems pretty reasonable to me.  So for now I'll close out the AIPS 4 chapter in my life quite happy.  But I'll still be looking to see if I can ever have the elusive 3 banana year.

Scott and Chris of Ante Up Magazine interviewed me for the February 12th podcast.  You can hear more incoherent babbling there.

Here's a picture of the two Pokerstars monkeys fighting with the Bananas I won.

No comments: