Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Vegas, Baby Vegas!

I've been a poker player since high school and a poker fan boy ever since the poker boom started in 2002.  But I've never managed to make it out to see the spectacle that is the World Series of Poker.  I've had a long standing family fishing trip in the first part of June, so it's been hard to justify taking another trip so close behind.

But this year my brother has given me the perfect excuse.  He won a Main Event seat through playing in a series of tournaments with friends in Kansas City.  So of course I have to go out to sweat him, don't I?  And if I happen to play in one of the $500 super satellites, well so be it.

I really am excited about going.  After all, the WSOP is the Mecca of poker and seeing it is definitely on my bucket list.  I'd love to play in the Main Event, but I'm not willing to pony up the $10K to play so I'll have to get lucky in the satellite. But I'll play cash games and maybe a smaller tournament as well.

Of course this trip has not been without its drama.  My brother locked up his seat in May, but then on the way to the previously mentioned fishing trip he hurt his knee.  Turns out he fractured his leg, likely caused by a giant-cell tumor.  This is NOT cancer, thankfully, but he will have to have it removed as soon as we return from the WSOP.  Until then he is supposed to stay off his leg, and has to walk with crutches.  So he is going to rent a motorized wheelchair,so he can wander around the Amazon and Pavilion rooms without lugging crutches around

We'll be out there for a full week, from July 7-14.   Hopefully we will both be too busy playing the main event to do much of anything else.

Wish me luck!


No comments: