Saturday, January 7, 2012

Crash and Burn

Thursday night I went to the card room to try to schedule an interview with the tournament director.  After that was accomplished I thought I'd play for a little while.  It was one of those nights where nothing went right.  Chips were flowing freely around the table, but none seemed to head in my direction.

I honestly don't think I was playing that badly, not that I didn't make any mistakes.  I think it was largely just variance.  After losing 3 buy-ins ($600) I decided to call it a night.  After all one of the most insidious aspects of tilt is that you can't always tell when you aren't playing your best.  So even though I think I could have still beat the game, I left.  In retrospect I think that was a good idea.  Even if the game was beatable, I think there are softer games.  And I don't want to by trying to "chase" my losses.  It's better to start fresh with a clean slate.

Normally after a bad session I might take a couple of weeks off, to make sure I reset my mental state.  But with this challenge I don't have that luxury, so a couple of days will have to do.

No comments: